Monday, May 2, 2011

A little DIY day

Due to all of the craziness of this past week, I am back home and have a considerable amount of free time. The tornado that happened on Wednesday damaged a large portion of Tuscaloosa, including the neighborhood I lived in. (I'll post more later)...
As for today, I decided to take a break from sorting through the craziness of moving back to my parents' house. I have the most wonderful family and friends, they helped me carry my belongs about 2 blocks in order to get it to the cars. So this week I have the daunting task of organizing it all.

 Here are my projects that I had fun with today! First, a little wedding flower arrangement practice. Mom and I are hoping to do the decor ourselves, using wildflowers and mason jars.
Found these flowers out in my yard and stuck them in an old mason jar and coke bottle. I used some strips of fabric and rafia to add a little bit of a rustic feel. (Don't you just love my little pine cone owl!)


My second project was decorating my new journal. I used:-Composition notebook
-2 large sheets of scrapbook paper
-1 pc embossed paper
-rafia
-modpodge





 The key to any successful modpodge project is being generous. You have to apply m.p. before you put the paper onto the journal and after. Doing this will give your whole journal a nice finished look.
I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but on the front cover I put one of my all time favorite verses of scripture.
"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."-Psalm 73: 25-26
This verse has been on my mind a lot lately. When you suddenly are in a position where you truly grasp that you have no control it will terrify you. When I was huddling under a pillow with my roommates this week listening to the world come down around us I realized how little control I actually have. I cannot keep myself alive and I cannot truly hold anything. That day belongings became the least important things to me. How much more valuable is life?! And I know with full confidence that I can lose anything in an instant, but I will never be separated from the Lord. Praise God for His protection and bringing good things out of terrible situations. He is Good. 
I hope you remember how truly blessed you are. Don't forget to tell your family and friends how much you love them. 
Grace and Peace 
-e




No comments:

Post a Comment