Monday, May 30, 2011

Sorry We Lost the Bananas

My first couple of days in San Jose have been interesting to say the least. Yesterday, Claire and I left our house early to go on a field trip to the Poas Volcano and some waterfalls. On our way to find the bus we got a little bit lost and ran into a pretty unfriendly Tico. After confronting us, this man pulled out a switchblade and demanded our backpacks. We were eager to comply to his wish. After a couple seconds of panic, Claire and I followed the man's other order to walk away. So there we were in the middle of San Jose at 6:30 on a Sunday morning with nothing but shear terror. We walked back to our house pretty defeated and angry at the world. Our host family was very kind and tender, covering us in hugs and kisses. They continually told us how valuable we are to them and our Momí fed us extra delicious food. I'm feeling pretty spoiled at this point. I've been told that our Momí is the best cook out of all the host families and mae, let me tell you it is good. I hope to send some pictures when I get another camera. Our Papí has also shown his concern by giving us a series of lectures about safety in the streets. 
We've learned a lot about walking the streets of San Jose. I consider my street cred to have gone up several notches. Not only am I getting to study Spanish in a world-renowned university, but I'm learning how to survive.
I was feeling kind of bitter towards Ticos yesterday but after Claire and I arrived at the house today soaked from head to toe we were became well aware that they are not all bad. Our Momí had cleaned our rooms and brought us hot chocolate. Ella es una Santa! 
Our first day of classes went well, we both got into the class that we were hoping for. All is well. 
I consider myself truly blessed. Yesterday in my devotion I came across this verse: 

 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam, 
though the mountains tremble at its swelling. 
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, 
the holy habitation of the Most High.
  God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; 
God will help her when morning dawns.
  The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress. 
Psalm 46:1-7
Even under attack I know that God is still God. He is far more powerful than any fears I have. This year I have experienced some pretty frightening things, but I know where my security is. Praise the Lord! I have a firm place to set my feet. Soy una hija de Dios.

1 comment:

  1. Emily - I am so glad to be able to read what is going on with you while you are there, and I am praying for you!! Thank God that you are safe and that you have such a wonderful host family surrounding you. :) He is faithful. I love you and I'm so privileged to know you and your beautiful heart! Un abrazo enorme!

    ReplyDelete